36 corn tortillas
canola or grapeseed oil for frying
8 cloves garlic
3 cans tomato sauce
3cans black beans
grated cotija cheese (available at latin stores) (you can sub a dry feta)
cumin, chili powder, oregano, cayanne, paprika
optional---grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375
1. Heat a large skillet with a inch of oil
2. Fry tortillas for a few seconds, flip them over, and fold the in half- use tongs for these maneuvers. Stack them on a plate with paper towels.
3. Peel and dice the onions. You can use the same pan to make the sauce but dump all but a small coating of oil. Sautee the onions on medium heat.
4. While you are sauteeing the onions peel and dice the garlic.
5. When the onions are translucent add the garlic and sautee for another minute
6. Add the spices,healthy doses of all but the cayanne. Stir and let it cook for a minute.
7. Add the tomato sauce and stir it up. Let it cook while stirring for about 5 minutes. Taste it and make sure you put enough spices in-salt and pepper if you want.
8. Add the beans-most of them are just packed in salt and water so I use the whole thing-if there is a preservative you can rinse them. Mix it up and let it go for a few more minutes.
9. Start with a thin layer of sauce and alternate like so----
Do 4 layers and top with grated mozzarella if you want
10. Cover and bake for 30 minutes----if you opted for the mozz take the foil off for the last 10